Skip to content

Dispensary volunteer was at store: ‘They tore up our house’

September 9, 2009 - 3:47 pm

Randy Wall is a 52-year-old AIDS patient and volunteer at Hillcrest Compassionate Care, one of the medical marijuana dispensaries raided today by the San Diego Police Department.  Wall said he has been a member and a greeter for the store for a year, about as long as the place has been in business. Wall said they were preparing to shoot a TV commercial at about 11:30 a.m. when police arrived. Wall had been cleaning a back office.

“When I walked out, we heard the cops were coming, but we said, ‘Be cool, be cool,’” he said. “We thought they were going to check our permits. But there was like 20 cops with guns drawn and battering rams. We told them we would unlock the door if they gave us a second.”

“We said, ‘Hold on! Hold on! We’ll let you in,’ but they busted the door open,” he said. “Then they busted down another door that was locked. There was nothing in there; it’s a bedroom where someone sleeps. We have one person stay there; we have to have a security guard in there 24-hours a day.”

“They made us go up against the wall, and they frisked everybody. Then they sat us down right where we were standing, and they proceeded to ask each person questions. I didn’t hear what they were asking for, but I think it was name, address, basic information.”

Wall said police didn’t tell them why they were being taken in. He said they only spoke to the owner of the shop, Rev. Paul Cody, who was arrested.

“It seems to me that everybody that worked there got arrested today. They handcuffed everyone—everybody that worked there was in handcuffs that I saw,” Wall said.

Wall said police were not at all rough with the employees, but they were less gentle with the store itself.

“They acted like complete animals. They tore our house up for no reason,” he said. “I’m so upset about this. I thought the way that they did it was very unprofessional. They came in like we were a bunch of common criminals, which we weren’t. They just made you feel like you were nothing, just a common criminal.”

14 Comments leave one →
  1. James Scott permalink
    September 9, 2009 - 4:48 pm 4:48 pm

I think hillcrest got what was coming to them they always having people in there with no card. Letting people do what they want smokin at public parks. I went there a couple times and will never go there again. People walkin around smokin in the shop that place was going down anyway its good it happen to them

2. lisa jones permalink
    September 9, 2009 - 4:51 pm 4:51 pm

I agree that place was trash. I thought they were non-profit that place was robbing people everyday. I know you have to pay but there prices was crazy

3. Mike permalink
    September 9, 2009 - 6:19 pm 6:19 pm

So what about all of the patients, do they have all of their info now?

• Gentle T permalink
      September 9, 2009 - 9:25 pm 9:25 pm

That’s what I’m saying…are they going to go after the patients/caregivers?

4. September 9, 2009 - 7:13 pm 7:13 pm

****EVERYBODY*****: WRITE, CALL, EMAIL PRESIDENT OBAMA NOW!!!! IT’S EASY, GO HERE:

WE WILL NOT HAVE OUR FREEDOMS TAKEN AWAY ANYMORE AND OBAMA CAN FIX THIS EASILY ASAP.

1) ASK HIM TO FIRE ERIC HOLDER FOR NOT FOLLOWING THE PRESIDENTS CAMPAIGN PROMISES AND WASTING MY HARD EARNED TAXES ON RAIDS WITH GUNS ON SICK PEOPLE.
    2) ASK HIM WHY FEDERAL FUNDS ARE BEING USED AGAINST HARMLESS PATIENTS.
    3) ASK HIM TO HELP BY CALLING SAN DIEGO LAW ENFORCEMENT AND SAN DIEGO DEA NOW!!!
    4) ASK HIM TO KEEP THE PROMISES HE MADE.
    5) ASK HIM TO HAVE THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT SUE THE SAN DIEGO LAW ENFORCEMENT FOR VIOLATING SEVERAL LAW IN THE RAIDS.
    6) COPY PASTE THIS MESSAGE AND POST IT IN EVERY BLOG ABOUT THE INCIDENTS THAT HAVE HAPPENED THIS WEEK.

FINALLY, IF ANYONE IS A LAWYER, SUE THE CITY OF SAN DIEGO. MAKE SAN DIEGO BLEED MONEY IN THE COURTROOM SO IT CAN’T AFFORD TO DO MORE RAIDS.

I HAVE TO GO NOW TO FIND ANOTHER COLLECTIVE.

• Gentle T permalink
      September 9, 2009 - 9:23 pm 9:23 pm

I hear u Rob…. Better yet I’m going to call Nancy Grace to debate this issue!!!

5. Rob H. permalink
    September 9, 2009 - 9:08 pm 9:08 pm

“I know you have to pay but there prices was crazy” If you pay for weed, you and the person who takes your money are both breaking the law. The reality is that you aren’t going to be hassled, but the person who sells you the drugs is going to be treated “like a common criminal.” Selling marijuana is illegal.

6. Gentle T permalink
    September 9, 2009 - 9:18 pm 9:18 pm

Rev. Paul is the most kind-hearted individual anyone can meet. He has only the best interest of people in mind. He does everything by the book & abides all State laws. I love you Paul & so do all of your friends!!! =)

7. Rocky permalink
    September 10, 2009 - 12:58 pm 12:58 pm

vote out Bonnie Dumbass when and can she IS the anti christ!!!

8. fukthepolice permalink
    September 10, 2009 - 5:30 pm 5:30 pm

that is bullshit i have been there many times and it was very professional everytime i was carded and even got turned down once due to expired card. they have a lawsuit coming and the dispensary will win!!!! Hillcrest Compassionate Care Willl Be Back !!!! Some Take Pills, We Use Marijuana.

9. September 15, 2009 - 10:47 pm 10:47 pm

Marijuana is an organic, natural plant. ALCOHOL is a DRUG. the hypocrisy of the self-righteous government who think they know what’s better for us than we do is unbearable. I’d understand if they were raiding underground drug dealers. But suppling medicine to those of us who HAVE LEGITIMATE PERSCRIPTIONS FROM LEGITIMATE DOCTORS, ALL WITHIN THE LEGAL CONFINES OF CALIFORNIA LAW is not only unAmerican, but terroristic.

10. September 15, 2009 - 10:49 pm 10:49 pm

Congratulations freedom-hating ‘American’ police…Osama Bin Laden would be proud.

11. potqueen permalink
    October 1, 2009 - 4:02 pm 4:02 pm

They sucked

12. in need permalink
    October 15, 2009 - 8:10 am 8:10 am

I have been to many shops but this one has come a long way.
    I like the staff. Which all of them give their time for free. New staff and now a great office. They dont let you in if your paperwork is messed up. I have seen that. Thank you for this
    place takes time with you. I will only come here.